Tuesday, December 17, 2013

There's More....

  If you thought that first email was something, here's the apology.
________________________________________________________________________________
  
It has been brought to my attention that my statements may have offended some of the prospective actors who applied to audition for our upcoming film, "Dead Men". As this was not my intention in any shape or form, I wanted to send out a formal apology to those who may have been put off by my abrasiveness and intensity.

When I had ostentatiously denounced actors who star in films to "fluff up their resumes", I was not taking into account those who commit themselves to the craft of filmmaking, putting in long hours and sleepless nights into perfecting the art of acting. I spoke haphazardly, and for that I do sincerely apologize.

In addition, when I demanded line memorization, I should have been more clear that I didn't mean all 10 pages by Tuesday. That would be a bit unrealistic. You all have lives and responsibilities, and I'm no hot shot producer- nothing of the sort, and I have no right to demand such a high burden from any of you. A few paragraphs is more than is needed, something I should have clarified in my original statement.

I will try not to make excuses for my actions, but I will say that I am immensely passionate about this project. It is something me and the team have been working on for months now, and the excitement of finalizing the casting call had gotten the better of me. I prematurely denounced entire careers, disregarded applicant's motivations, and blatantly ignored the feelings of others.

In the end, my credibility and my honor was put on the line in that e-mail, and it was the furthest thing from my intentions to have offended anyone. I had thought by using tough language, I could spark some motivation and commitment to the role, something which I now know and understand was unnecessary, patronizing, and rude.

I know how hard all of you work towards perfecting your performance. I understand that the career of an actor is a difficult one, and none of you would have applied if you hadn't already committed yourself to the idea. This is something I was too shortsighted to realize, and something which I hope I can make up for when meeting with all of you on Tuesday.

It is not in my nature to come off the way I did, and I acted out of sheer emotion and simply put, I lacked rational thought. I am unfortunately a too-hard-on-himself perfectionist, and I suppose I projected that mentality upon all of you- all of you who are gracious enough to take time out of their days, some of you traveling great distances, to be apart of this project. I am grateful to each and every one of you, and the last thing I meant to do was seem like some power wielding jerk behind a camera.

I hope my words find you all well, and that those offended can find it in their hearts to let bygones be bygones, and come down Tuesday to be apart of a project which I have immense faith in. If not, your absence will be sorely missed.

For a majority of you though, the overwhelming response has been positive. Most of you seem to have looked past my vague wording and picked up on my passion albeit misdirected, replying with enthusiasm over the script. I want to say thank you to those who have replied and are willing to commit themselves to this project, despite my words that could be interpreted the way they were by a select few. I am grateful for your participation, and more so am grateful to those who brought to my attention the alternative tone which I hadn't the slightest clue I was conveying.

This was a powerful experience for me in terms of wording my thoughts and passions correctly, and in the future I hope to better assess what I say when addressing prospective actors.

Once again, it is with my deepest regrets and sincerest apology that I send you all this e-mail.

I look forward to seeing the rest of you Tuesday, and I know together this film can be something special if we all work together, put our passions into a manageable sphere, and from there, project them onto the screen.

Deepest apologies

No comments: