Tuesday, December 17, 2013

I Feel The Need to Share This

This subject has already been addressed on Facebook, but I feel the need to post this here.
 
Last week, a writer / director sent out a mass email to over 70 actors for a project, titled DEAD MEN. The email that was sent out, which is enclosed below, was shocking to say the least.  It was equal parts arrogant and idiotic. Arrogant in it's tone and idiotic in thinking that such an approach was going to entice anyone to want to show up and audition.
 
I'll repeat what I said on Facebook: HOW FAR GONE ARE YOU?
 
I posted the email on Facebook and, as I hoped, people reacted in a strong manner.
 
Reactions included this individual being referred to as a jackass, a tool and a no-talent egotistical idiot.
 
I could go on and on, but I'll let you decide. Give it a read.
 
My favorite parts are highlighted in red.
 
Enjoy!
 
_________________________________________________________________________________
 
Greetings everyone! Glad to you've made it thus far. This is the easy part, you know, throwing your resume blindly to producers, hoping one will bite. Despite whatever your lengthy, well written resumes may claim, the next step in this process is where you get to prove to me and the team you're more than just lifeless words of self-proclamation..

As writer of this project, I just want to say I will settle for nothing less than perfection. I have a particular idea for how this film should look, feel, and be received. This is not a project I want anyone to take lightly- it's not going to be some film you can use to fluff up your resume- this is a film that could go places, and I'm looking only for those who are committed and are ready to take on the challenge.

***SPECIAL NOTE***

There has been an overhaul in the script. Me and the team have fine tuned it to a point of no return. The characters remain the same, (Grim, Judge, and Victim), but the dynamic has changed. As you read the script, note that Judge has much more dialogue than Grim, and Grim plays an almost secondary role towards the end. There will also be heavy make up involved as the characters will be dead, trolling through the underworld.

ALSO! THOSE APPLYING TO BE JUDGE- YOU MUST HAVE A VALID DRIVER'S LICENSE AND BE WILLING TO SIGN A LIABILITY WAIVER, AS YOU WILL BE ASKED TO DRIVE A CAR, THE EXTENT OF WHICH IS STILL UNSURE. MOST LIKELY NO MORE THAN A FEW MILES AT MOST.

THOSE APPLYING FOR GRIM-
Please wear a plain white t-shirt and black winter jacket (leather, pea coat, buffalo jacket). If you do not have this wardrobe, don't worry, we have a spare jacket, but we'd prefer if you brought your own.
 
I am sending you all the script for your review. I want your lines memorized and sown into your conscience when you walk through that studio door next week. The feel of your performance is just as important as the accuracy of your recital. I will be able to tell apart those that did their homework, and those that didn't. Your work ethic is just as important as your talent, so keep that in mind.

This script is under copyright. By accepting and opening this e-mail, you have acknowledged that any re-production or distribution of this script without express written consent from myself (John Amaruso) will result in legal action.

Just to make sure you all actually read this, please reply to this e-mail with the subject line "Dead Men Don't Die".

I look forward to seeing you all there. Remember, first come first serve. See you Tuesday and good luck everyone!

No comments: