Monday, October 22, 2012

The Hunger and Thirst Theatre Collective's IVANOV Comes To A Close

IVANOV played its final performace this past Saturday night. Admittedly, it was not our best performance, but the crowd seemed to enjoy it, although I preferred the afternoon performance more.

After the final show, I made a quick exit (an Irish exit), ready to tackle bigger and better things.

Overall, the experience was...okay. It irritated me that marketing for the production was largely ignored. Although we received a few positive reviews, none of them were from sites like nytheatre.com, a company that champions indie companies like HTTC. We were barely listed. These things baffle me.

Our audiences consisted mostly of friends and family only, which is not acceptable. What's the point? You want butts in seats!

The blame for the poor turnout goes to the artistic team of HTTC. If you're going to run a theatre company, common sense things like marketing, especially for your debut production should be handled by the entire artistic board. Yes, they hired someone to do marketing, but that individual dropped the ball. The ball wasn't picked up and it pissed me off. I have no use for theatre companies and people like that! When you don't market your work, people won't see it and therefore you're wasting people's time.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but as I get older, I have less tolerance for these kinds of things.

The highlight for me was playing the role of Lebedyev, a character I adored and one that I would like to tackle again in the future. There were moments that I was really proud of in the production and other moments where I felt I was floundering a little.

Oh well.

On to the next adventure!

No comments: