Thursday, October 11, 2007

Book Recommendation: ACTORS AT WORK

Rosemarie Tichler (Ccasting director and artistic producer at The Public Theater) and playwright Barry Jay Kaplan's book featuring interviews with 14 great actors, including Kevin Kline, Meryl Streep, John Lithgow and Phillip Seymour Hoffman is an intriguing read so far.

Here are some great lessons I have have taken from my reading thus far.

"I think we never finish the learning process of acting. Ever,in fact. As I get older and older and older, I feel I have more and more to learn. And no matter how much you prepare before the first rehearsal of a play, if you are not open to the director's concept of your character, it will be a confrontation rather than a learning experience."

Tony Award winning Actress, Marian Seldes


"I always wanted to have it just happen. In other words, I don't have a technique. I could never fall back on affective memories of something I have worked subconsciously. I don't know what I do or why I do it; I just do it. So I have no kind of conscious technique, and I always wanted it to be that you would walk out and let the character emerge."

Academy Award winner, Estelle Parsons


"The process of rehearsal is to practice and invent endless possibilities."

Emmy and Tony Award winning actor, Mandy Patinkin


"The most exciting thing about acting is surprising people, setting up some expectations and then defying them. That's why playing a scary part is so much fun. When you jump out of character and scare the daylights out of someone."

Emmy and Tony Award winning actor, John Lithgow

No comments: